Hermitage, TN Homes For Sale by Price Range
Hermitage, Tennessee is a section of Metro Nashville that is located in the eastern part of Davidson County. It is named in the honor of “The Hermitage. Home of Andrew Jackson”. Although still considered part of Metro Nashville it maintains its identity as a residential and commercial suburban area. Hermitage is east of Donelson and west of Mount Juliet.
Hermitage is rich in history with its National Historic Landmark, “The Hermitage.” In 1804 President Andrew Jackson bought the plantation and he and his wife Rachel built a big two story, eight room, federal style brick mansion. It is still there today and daily tours are conducted of the property and grounds. It is amazing how it has been preserved over the years.
Like Hermitage, TN., Donelson is rich in history and is home to many historical landmarks like the 1859 antebellum, Two- Rivers mansion and postwar WWII red brick suburbs.
Donelson is just east o f the city and seconds from the International Airport. It’s close proximity to town and the airport makes it an appealing area to live for those that travel extensively and work downtown.
Donelson was home to the former and famous Opryland USA Theme Park. The theme park closed in 1997 and reopened as Opry Mills Shopping mall, which was later destroyed by the great flood of 2010. The grand reopening of the mall is scheduled sometime in November, 2011.
In Addition, Donelson is home to the Grand Ole Opry. The Grand Ole Opry is one of the longest running broadcasts and stage shows since 1925. It attracts tourists year round from all over the world. The Grand Ole Opry has been called “country’s most famous stage.”
The Grand Ole Opry is adjacent to the famous Gaylord Grand Ole Opry hotel and it too was destroyed in the 2010 May flood. But, remarkably the hotel was quickly reopened to the public soon after total destruction. It was amazing to see quick responsiveness to repair and re-opening this famous hotel.
(Donelson is a neighborhood of Nashville, Tennessee located east of downtown Nashville along U.S. Highway 70. It is named in honor of John Donelson, co-founder of Nashville and father-in-law of Andrew Jackson, Nashvillian and seventh President of the United States. It is incorporated as part of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County.) (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
(Membership in the Opry remains one of country music’s crowning achievements. Such country music legends as Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Roy Acuff, the Carter family, Bill Monroe, Ernest Tubb, Kitty Wells and Minnie Pearl became regulars on the Opry’s stage (although Williams was banned in 1952 due to frequent drunkenness). In recent decades, the Opry has hosted such contemporary country stars as Dolly Parton, Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, and the Dixie Chicks (both with their initial bluegrass/cowgirl lineup and their most recent alternative country trio). Since 1974, the show has been broadcast from the Grand Ole Opry House east of downtown Nashville and performances have been sporadically televised in addition to the radio programs.) (from the Wikipedia, a free encyclopedia)
Old Hickory, TN
Old Hickory is a particularly interesting place located in the Hadley Bend section of eastern Davidson County, TN. The area is best known for two things and that is 1.) It is named after Andrew Jackson and his nickname Old Hickory and 2.) Old Hickory Village. In the early days of building DuPont factory the town was built to house the employees. The suburb was called Old Hickory Village and the houses were built to coincide with the hierarchy of the employees and their position with the company.
(There were 11 original floor plans for single-family frame houses in Old Hickory, and they were built in a distinct “caste system.” The largest, most architecturally interesting homes for top-level managers were built on Riverside Road on the eastern edge of the village, overlooking the stretch of the Cumberland River that was later dammed to become Old Hickory Lake.)(From www.oldhickoryvillage.org)
Historically, Old Hickory before the DuPont Factory was purchased by a group of investors the government contracted w E.I DuPont de Nemours Co to build the world’s largest gunpowder plant. Two years later after the “Great War” ended and the reason for the gunpowder plant existence ended the town became a ghost town. Fortunately, the Nashville Investors Group bought and started DuPont. When one travels the streets of Old Hickory Village and especially Riverside drive it is like a walk back in time. People still to this day buy and rehab the houses keeping the original form. Some streets in Old Hickory Village keep a sense of vintage style community and history alive while other streets remain a rental area.